RE: How do I run sshd as a particular user?

Alfred von Campe wrote on 28 March 2008 12:30:

> I have tried various ways to get the sshd service started as a domain
> user (instead of the default local user "sshd_server") and can not
> get it to work.  What is the correct syntax to specify a domain user
> with cygrunsrv?  This is what I have tried:
>
>    cygrunsrv -I sshd -u "DOMAINNAME\USERNAME" -w PASSWORD -d "CYGWIN
> sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -D -e "CYGWIN=bin tty smbntsec" -y tcpip

  That's the windows domain user syntax sure enough.  There aren't any shell
metacharacters in the password by any chance are there?

> This successfully installs the service, and if I look at it in the
> Services control panel, it shows the correct username (DOMAIN
> \USERNAME), but if I try to start the service I always get the error
> "The Cygwin sshd service in Local Computer started and then
> stopped".  If I substitute sshd_server for the user and supply the
> correct password, the sshd service starts correctly.  But I want to
> start the service as a domain user

  I suppose it might also be worth turning on all the auditing in the
security log to see if it's a login failure or not.

    cheers,
      DaveK