Re: Starting http2: Win32 error 1062

Hi Dave,

Dave Korn <dave.korn <at> artimi.com> writes:

> fortunately your cygcheck had the answer

This is also why I didn't add these, knowing they would be redundant.

>   That error message does not say that anything is wrong with
> /var/log/apache2.  It says that something is wrong with
> /var/log/apache2/error_log.
>
> > -rw-r--r--  1 emagiro Domain Users 4788 Mar  3 12:01 error_log

Thanks, indeed.

> Account             : LocalSystem
> ^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> you have installed it to run as the LocalSystem user.  LocalSystem does not
> have write permission for that file because LocalSystem is not you.

cygrunsrv did it... I ran cygrnsrv.

>   This probably happened because you probably manually ran apache2 under
> your own user id while doing the installation

Now that you mention it, this is correct.

> - this is why we really need to know exactly what you did and every step
> on the way - and it was the first time it had ever been run, which means
> that it created the files for the logs for the first time because they
> didn't exists yet, which means it was running as you and created them
> only with perms for you.

Makes sense.

>   You chould 'chown' the log files so LocalSystem owns them, or you could
> delete them and let apache2 recreate them next time it runs.

Thanks. It worked (I did the latter, which resulted in:

apache2> ll
total 9
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 emagiro Users             0 Mar  5 16:32 .
drwxrwxrwx+ 3 emagiro Users             0 Mar  5 12:36 ..
-rw-rw-rw-  1 SYSTEM  Administrators    0 Mar  5 16:32 access_log
-rw-rw-rw-  1 SYSTEM  Administrators 3255 Mar  5 16:32 error_log

Marc