Re: porting Unix programs to windows

You need to clarify what you mean by "port Unix C programs to Windows
VC using cygwin" means.  As Brian has pointed out, Cygwin's headers
are written for Cygwin's libraries, just as MSVC's headers are written
for MSVC's libraries.

You'll find that it's quite easy to port UNIX programs using Cygwin's
automake, gcc, and so forth, provided you have the necessary
dependencies installed.

In what way are you porting "to Windows VC"?  To me that means you
either (a) want the program to link to the Microsoft Visual C++
Runtime Library, or (b) you do not want the program to link to the
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.

My recommendation: Use MSVC as an IDE only.  Go into MSVC and make
sure that the paths to the compiler, linker, assembler, preprocessor,
etc., etc., etc., includes, libs, etc., etc., are all cygwin.  You
might even be able to get MSVC to use /bin/make.