Re: root and chown

"Robert W. Kuhn" wrote:

> On my windows computer:
>
>  root@server:grep root /etc/passwd
>  root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>  operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
>
>  root@server:chown root sshd/
>  chown: changing ownership of `sshd': Invalid argument

'root' works differently in Windows than unix.  It is a group (an alias
to the Administrators group), not a user, because in the Windows
security model ownership can be by either.  And it has a special SID as
it is a well-known group.  Thus you shouldn't have any root entry in
your passwd, and you should have a root entry in your /etc/group that
has the SID of S-1-5-32-544.  This is all automatically done for you
when you run mkgroup and mkpasswd, so there should not be any need to
touch this.

> The original proble is that I want to start the ssd-server on the client
> but:
>
>  root@client:/var/empty# /etc/init.d/ssh start
>  Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd/var/empty/sshd must be owned
>  by root and not group or world-writable.
>   failed (255: ).

Okay, stop there.  To install sshd you simply run "ssh-host-config" and
it will set everything up with the appropriate privileges and
ownerships.  Note that this installs ssh as a service, not through
init.d.  This is the preferred way to run daemons on Windows, because
they automatically start at bootup with user intervention.  Thus you
should get used to starting and stopping the sshd daemon with cygrunsrv
-S/-E, not through any script.

Brian