Re: help!!!!

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote
octavian andrei wrote:
Hi,

I installed cygwin in my PC. After that, I also wanted to install "The
Jam utility" (http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html).  I encountered
some problems and the reason is because the PATH variable (printenv
PATH) contains some Windows-based directories (like:
/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/Programes Files/Common Files/Symbian/Tools)

Huh? Those look like POSIX paths to me.

I tried to run "jam.exe" and the error was "This application has
failed because cygwin1.dll was not found. Re-installing the appication
may fix this problem"

Any suggestion how to remove the space character from the PATH variable?

Sounds to me like the problem is that the directory with 'cygwin1.dll'
in it is missing from your path in whatever shell/console you're
running 'jam.exe' from.  If that's not true, perhaps it's best to back
up and provide us with a step-by-step sequence that reproduces the
problem in context.  Having full path names with spaces in your path
is not a guaranteed problem.

Indeed, I have a similar problem with PATH variable, but I noticed this was not caused by spaces,
but by the fact that Windows PATH is not case sensitive (and may contain "program files" or "Program Files") ...
and it's naturally wrong under cygwin which is case sensitive.
My errors occured in "configure" scripts (many different applications) when configure is searching commands trough PATH variable.
So I modified the cygwin.bat batch file too force a clean PATH with only C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\system32, translated into cygwin by
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS and /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32

There's perhaps something to do about that.