Re: Maybe 1.5 Regression: cp failing while working with cygwin 1.3.22

On Jan 15 18:22, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Corinna Vinschen on 1/15/2008 7:32 AM:
> |> 8808978157900 drwxr-xr-x 1 corinna root 0 Jan 15 14:46 subdir
> |> 8808978157900 drwxr-xr-x 1 corinna root 0 Jan 15 14:46 symlink
> |> [...]
> |> I have no idea why Samba doesn't return the correct i-node number for
> |> symlinks.  This is most unfortunate.
> |
> | Eric, maybe cp(1) can be pushed up a bit by checking the number of
> | hardlinks on the file?  Two files with identical i-nodes are only
> | actually hardlinks to the same file if the number of links is equal
> | and > 1?
>
> I'm not sure how useful that would be.  I already do something similar for
> checking whether two spellings represent the same file with different
> case, but it adds time and the potential for race conditions.  It seems
> like it would be better to work around this samba bug in samba itself, or
> in cygwin1.dll so that all cygwin apps will benefit, rather than
> special-casing and slowing cp even further.

Sigh, I guess you're right.  I hate having to use fake i-node numbers
for Samba.  I will report the problem in Samba's bugzilla and see if
there's a chance to fix this in a future release.  IMHO, it doesn't make
sense to have identical i-node numbers but a link count of 1.

Corinna

Red Hat