RE: [1.7.0 HEAD]: Cygwin no longer encoding/decoding names on managed

[snip]

> >Managed mounts?  They're intended to handle names with
> things like ":"
> >in them, which will choke Windows no matter what year is in its name.
>
> Aren't they also intended to support apps that expect and
> require file names to be POSIXly case-sensitive? Apps that
> include core files that have the same names except for case?
> ...which will cause file collisions in Windows, no matter
> what year is in its name.

Yep, that kind of stuff as well.

> It seems to me that Cygwin /still/ has just as much need to
> map POSIX file names onto Windows, as Windows still has the
> need (at least through XP-- I do not know if this is
> supported in Vista) to map long file names onto DOS 8.3 file
> names.

Like Corinna said, file handling in the tip is a work in progress.  While I
don't want to speak for anybody, I am unaware of any plans to remove this
functionality, as appears to be your concern.

>  Oh yeah, which reminds me-- cygpath no longer escapes
> the spaces in Windows long file names when converting them to
> POSIX paths, making the following kludgy shell script
> necessary:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> ppath=$(cygpath "$2" | sed 's/ /\\ /g')
> if [ -n $3 ] ; then
>   eval $1 "$ppath" $3
> else
>   eval $1 "$ppath"
> fi
>

> Jeff

$ cygpath -u 'c:\Program Files'
/cygdrive/c/Program Files

$ cygpath -v
cygpath (cygwin) 1.42.4.1
Path Conversion Utility
Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Red Hat, Inc.
Compiled on Dec 14 2007

Yep, I can replicate your report.  I'm doubt that it's incorrect behavior
though:

$ find /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/

--