Re: Stop turning CPAN modules into Cygwin packages

Brian Mathis wrote:
On Dec 12, 2007 11:43 AM, Archie Warnock <warnock@awcubed.com> wrote:
Igor Peshansky wrote:
BTW, this problem must have been encountered (and, hopefully, solved) by
other distros.  How does the Debian git package handle this?  I seem to
recall that at least Red Hat Linux at some point had packages for some
CPAN modules...
I don't know how they solve dependencies, or if it has anything to do with
dependencies, but I can tell you that Fedora Core 8 (and earlier versions) have
a _lot_ of CPAN modules packaged as RPMs.

I, too, prefer to get my modules directly from CPAN but I do run into occasional
compilation problems from time to time.  At those times, it's really handy to
have the packages available.  But, as already mentioned, those should be fixes
that are passed upstream to the CPAN module owner/maintainer anyway.

--
Archie

Fedora (and the other distros) do this because they understand that for a really good working distro, you need to have everything on the system managed by the system's package manager. It doesn't really matter that installing from CPAN is easy, because it always screws up the dependencies on the system.

The same goes for compiling other packages from tar.gz files and
installing them without first rolling an rpm (for example).  Yes,
compiling is not hard, and it might make one feel that they are a more
empowered or advanced Admin, but it cannot be said emphatically enough
that compiling things from .tar.gz files should be the absolute last
resort way to get some software onto a system.

CPAN is sort of a gray area because it's another package manager in
and of itself, and perl modules mostly are not "compiled", but it
creates the same problems.

One thing I will add is the admin of the NetBSD system that I login to will not install anything unless it is in a package form. So if someone requests a perl module then it has to be readily available as a package.