Re: Updated: cygwin-1.5.25-5

On Dec  9 10:49, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> I have a number of data processing programs written in C in the Cygwin
> environment.  They read data files into linked lists, analyze the data
> and write results back out to disk.
>
> This new release of Cygwin is about 10x slower than 1.5.24-2, after
> recompiling the programs.  I went back to the older Cygwin release and
> normal speed was restored.

Well, 10x sounds rather bad.  What I don't understand is why you
recompiled the applications in the first place.  There's no really
new functionality which would demand a recompilation.  The question
here is, was the original application alredy 10x slower or was it
ok and only the recompiled version was slower?  Or is the executable
from the same build 10x slower on 1.5.25?

> Any idea how to find out where the bottleneck(s) are?

Debugging?  You can try to find out which function got slower by
stracing or you could use the good old printf debugging in your own
code.

Other than that, it would be helpful to create a minimal testcase
in plain C, which only contains the absolute minimum of code to
reproduce the problem, and send it to the list.

Corinna

Red Hat