Re: Installing on a Samba share drive

On Dec  6 11:16, Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>> Has 'setup.exe' finally been updated to create .lnk file style symlinks?
>>> Guess it has been a while since I've wandered through that code. :-)
>> Ah, good point.  I was actually thinking this might have been the same
>> thing that as someone on IRC was reporting where I thought they said
>> that they just saw .lnk files but I see now that this wasn't mentioned
>> above.  Sorry about that.
>> Same answer, though.  Using cygwin utiltities to create the files should
>> rectify the problem.
>
> Well, the OP wrote that he used setup.exe to do "a full network install".
> Since setup.exe is a native windows program, would this mean that an
> install to a network share wouldn't work?

setup.exe is creating symlinks of the "plain file with magic header and
system bit set" type, which is also used for unix sockets and also for
symlinks if you set the CYGWIN=nowinsymlinks option.  The problem with
Samba is that it's running on file systems which don't support DOS file
attributes natively.

However, Samba supports a mapping mechanism which uses the  execute bits
in the file permissions to simulate the DOS attribute bits system,
hidden and archive, as well as, in newer Samba versions, a mapping
mechanism which uses extended attributes to map these bits.  For more
information see `man smb.conf'.  Using one of these mechanisms should
allow Cygwin symlinks created by setup.exe to work on Samba shares.  Of
course, they are still just plain files.  They are not visible as real
symlinks from the Linux side, they still only work from Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat