RE: Odd behaviour of __cygwin_environ?

On 05 December 2007 15:32, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Dec  5 15:00, Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 05 December 2007 12:31, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Keep in mind that the size of the
>>> native environment block is restricted to 32K.
>>
>>   I thought when cygexec was in effect the posix environment and
>> commandline were passed around-behind-the-back-of CreateProcess, bypassing
>> that limit?  Or does it only handle the commandline but not environment?
>
> It also handles the environment block.  Is there a native process in the
> call chain, maybe?

  Nope, it's all cygwin through and through.  Big project using
make/gcc/binutils, nothing non-posix.

> If not, I don't see any other chance than to debug
> this further.  spawn_guts() and the build_env() functions might be good
> starting points for that.

  Thanks, that's what I'm trying right now.

  Disappointingly it disappears under strace.  That might have been down to
the strace-is-a-win32-process-launching-a-cygwin-process anomaly, which is why
I'm hacking about the dll.  Early results suggest that, even though I'm not
launching under strace, but instead enabling it (by calling strace.hello()
during initial_env() if I detect an environment variable in the win32
environment), the problem still disappears, which makes me suspicious of it
still being a race somehow.

    cheers,
      DaveK