1.6e format.com hangs through ssh

On Cygwin 1.6e on Windows 2003 Server EE format.com hangs formatting a Veritas Volume when
performed through ssh connection.  Format can be interrupted without issue but no progress is
made after format asks "Proceed with Format (Y/N)?".  strace of the pid also hangs.

Here is output of the cmd:
  ./format Z:
  The type of file system is NTFS

  WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DSIK DRIVE Z: WILL BE LOST!
  Proceed with Format (Y/N)? y
  --Hang--

Problem scenario:
  ssh to Cygwin 1.6e on Windows box
  Create disk group
  Create Volume
  Assign drive letter
  format <hang>

This scenario succeeds when performed on the system via DOS or Cygwin window.

Once the volume has been formatted successfully format via ssh connection no longer hangs.

Windows and Cygwin are not my usual haunts.  Google has offered little help.  I would be
interested in any assistance in debugging and solving this problem.

Thanks

-srp