Re: file permission problem

Win Tong wrote:
Hi,

I have a difficult problem which I don't know how to solve and I'll
appreciate any help.
I'm using windows XP Home with cygwin and I want to remove the directory
'no_bulk' and all the files within it.

The following commands show me something like this

$ rm -r no_bulk
rm: cannot remove `no_bulk/con': No such file or directory

$ ls -l no_bulk
ls: no_bulk/con: No such file or directory
total 0
---------- 0 ???????? ???????? 0 Jan  1  1970 con

I tried to delete it through windows explorer as a administrator but it
say cannot find the specified file even though it shows the file and say
the file has 71kB and modified on 15/09/2007.

I've search google but cannot find anything that helps.
This is not the only directory that has this wired file and I want to
get rid of them.
please help

'con' is a reserved Windows file name. You must have worked pretty hard to create it since you can't create it by normal means. Anyway, you can get rid of it using the '//?/<fully qualified path>' syntax. For example:

bash-3.2$ mkdir foo
bash-3.2$ cd foo
/cygdrive/f/foo
bash-3.2$ touch '//?/f:/foo/con'