Re: [Fwd: sshd display]

Thank you. That seems to be it.

Brian Mathis wrote:
On Nov 26, 2007 10:56 AM, Roger Wells <ROGER.K.WELLS@saic.com> wrote:
Please forgive my silence and I really do appreciate your attention to my problem.
I originally posted my question on the cygwin-apps list and at Corinna's suggestion I
posted it on this list without realizing that I was not subscribed.  I only now have
seen your responses as I searched the archives.  I can now provide a specific example
of what I am doing.

On one cygwin installation:
uname -a => CYGWIN_NT-5.1 dac1 1.5.21(0.156/4/2) 2006-07-30 14:21 i686 Cygwin

the following command on the linux client:
ssh wellsr start foo.exe
results in a windows console popping up with the application (foo) running in it.
control immediately returns to the linux console.

The key to this working is the following script ("start")
that runs on the cygwin machine:

#!/usr/bin/bash
#
# There must be no spaces in the title field of the start command
# Otherwise, this seems to work, but I don't know how!
#
#
export XAPPLRESDIR="C:\iss60\app-def"
cmd /c start /I \ $1\  $2 $3 $4 $5 $6

(obviously the last line is the operative one)

on another cygwin installation:
uname => CYGWIN_NT-5.1 wellsr 1.5.24(0.156/4/2) 2007-01-31 10:57 i686 Cygwin

the same sequence launches the application and returns control to the linux
console but in this case there is no console window on the cygwin side.  The
application appears on the task list but no window exists.

When the sshd service is installed on the cygwin machine, you must make sure that "Interact with desktop" has been enabled. I suspect it was enabled on the one machine, but not the other. On the system that is not working, reinstall the cygwin sshd service, and enable that option.

-- Roger Wells, P.E. SAIC 221 Third St Newport, RI 02840 401-847-4210 (voice) 401-849-1585 (fax) roger.k.wells@saic.com