Re: Reliable old script loses data on new Cygwin installation

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:56:33PM -0500, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > The /bin/pdksh script sequence that is causing problems is:
> > [snip]
>
> The obvious question is: do you still get the error if you replace pdksh
> with bash, or is the problem pdksh-specific?
>
> When you reduce this to a minimal testcase, are there bits of that
> testcase that require pdksh to be used?

It appears that pdksh (or Cygwin) per se had nothing to do
with the problem.  As I reported in [1], the problem was
resolved when I discovered that the anti-virus software
(Anti-Vir) was checking each time a file is written to disk.

When I switched off this extra check (so that Anti-Vir now
checks only when files are read), the script ran perceptibly
faster and data is no longer lost.

I originally wrote the script using the MKS Toolkit Korn shell
with DOS 3.3, and it uses some features which may be Korn
shell-specific (e.g., redirecting to numbered file descriptors
with constructs such as "3>|") -- I have not really tried to
port it to bash.

Tom

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-11/msg00313.html

--