Re: cannot start sshd on cygwin- win xp

jameshanley39 wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

jameshanley39 wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

jameshanley39 wrote:
a selection of all the error message I am getting. Messing
around trying to start it.   it doesn`t show up on netstat -an.
I did install and uninstall a  windows port of openssh, I don`T
know if that messed things up. But  nothing i easily do about
that if it did..
Let's start here: <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Other than that, my WAG is that you need to reboot.
prob a win xp problem, would be solved with a win xp repair.
my mistake i was only trying to start it with things like net start
sshd.

Best tihng to do is just to run it.  /usr/sbin/sshd
That works.  I don`t need to install it as a service. Installing it
as a service and starting it, that was where the problem was.
Some article on the net on the LRP site, about running sshd, only
mentioned the "net start sshd" or "cygrunsrv -S sshd" method to
start it.

The recommended way to run 'sshd' is as a service. If you run it directly, it will run as the user that you start it as and you won't be able to log in through 'ssh' as other users. This rather severely limits 'sshd'. As for the 'LRP' site you mentioned, if you used that site's information as a guide for installing and/or setting up ssh, then any problems you have with subsequent operation should be directed back to that site. We support only the tools (ssh-host-config, ssh-user-config) and documentation (/usr/share/ doc/Cygwin/openssh.README) that Cygwin provides.

yes, i was not asking for support regarding information from another site. I replied with solutions or you may say a workaround, to the problem . So that they are in the archives for another newbie.

I understand the reason for your posting.  Mine was to warn people of
the pitfalls of your workaround and to correct the misperceptions
you had.  If what you have works well for you and you're comfortable
with it, that's fine.  If others try it and find it suits their needs
as well, that's fine too.  But as I and many others on this list can
attest, configuring and running 'sshd' as a service works just fine
under Cygwin.  So I wanted to clarify that this is the recommended,
supported, and most flexible way to use it.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746