Re: Unable to run sshd as service in vista home basic

Bing Ho wrote:
Hello,

I have been unable to start sshd as a service with a Vista Home Basic installation. It works fine for my Vista Premium install, and several XP Pro installations. Have you heard of any Vista Home Basic issues? I have installed cygwin as an administrator and use the supplied ssh-host-config script.

I receive several different errors, 1062 and 1069 being most common. I have tried with and without privilege separation. Running sshd -d - d -d -D indicates that /var/empty must be "owned by root and not group or world-writable" - as far as I can tell, ssh-host-config should have set those permissions correctly. Changing them myself with chmod or through Vista does not seem to fix the problem, although it is entirely possible that I have the wrong permissions set.

# net helpmsg 1069

The service did not start due to a login failure.

Sounds like the user that's running the service is not authorized for
your machine.  How did you configure it?

There is no 'root' in Windows.  The user you're looking for is either
'SYSTEM' or, if you configured ssh-host-config this way, 'sshd_server'.

You may find comparing your installation and configuration of your
Vista Premium and/or XP installations to your Vista Home Basic helpful.

Last, and most certainly not least, if you're still having trouble:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Holliston, MA 01746