RE: Problem with the dos2unix command

From: d.henman, Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 8:46 PM
> Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] <BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov> wrote:
> > From: Patrick Monnerat; Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:00 AM
> > > I'm trying to convert a \r\n line-ending file to unix style, but
> > > this file has some lines with their last character being \r (i.e.:

> > > the sequence of binary bytes is ...\r\r\n...)
> > >
> > > Using dos2unix to convert it strips both \r, resulting in a byte
> > > sequence ...\n...
> > >
> > > This seems to me a bug. I need the trailing \r in the file as a
> > > normal character, not being part of the line ending.
> >
> > For the record, shouldn't the following work?
> >
> > sed -i -e 's/\r$//' file1, file2, ...
>
> As long as your dealing with a know ascii text file, it Looks good,
except
> it will only work for the first line unless you sed's global option,
'g'.
> I don't thing the -i is necessary either...
>
>  sed -i -e 's/\r$//g' file1, file2, ...

The -i option edits the files "in place", and brings in the -s option,
which
keeps sed from catenating the files together.

I understand the g flag as making global per line, not file, and the $
at the
end of the pattern.  If sed has some sort mode that allows \n to be in
the
middle of a pattern, that could be different but I am totally unfamiliar
with
that (and not feeling like checking) so couldn't comment.

But in any case, I could be wrong and am not feeling energetic enough to
do
the experiment.

And in interest of a complete record in the archives (so that anyone
reading
my post will know about the uncertainty and your proposed correction),
I'm
sending this back to the list.