Re: Once more: performance on Vista

----- Original Message ----- From: <david.gross@imperial.ac.uk>
.
In particular, shell scripts (e.g. "configure" scripts) are ridiculously
slow, as is "make" on large projects

I find Vista, XP and 2000 are all (roughly) equally slow. That is, I think it's a "Windows" thing rather than a "Vista" thing.

I can build ('./configure' and 'make') and test ('make check') *both* GMP and MPFR on my linux box in the time it takes to run './configure' and 'make' for GMP *alone* on Cygwin. And that's the case irrespective of whether the Windows box is 2k, XP, or Vista.

I have the impression that a build in the MSYS shell is slightly quicker than a build in Cygwin's bash shell - but I haven't timed a comparison and *could* be mistaken about that.

Cheers,
Rob