RE: Unable to recirsively delete a directory

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 16 October 2007 18:18, Paul McFerrin wrote:
>
> > I've been seeing this same problem
>
>   Specifically on a NAS over SMB?  Or are you talking about something
> you've seen happen on your local hard drive, which would very likely be
> a completely different problem?
>
> > since B20!
>
>   Say, you /could/ have mentioned it a little sooner ...  you've had
> nearly ten years now to write a bug report, y'know!
>
>   The only time I've ever seen anything like this is when I've messed
> up, and the directory hasn't actually been empty, and I only thought it
> was because I forgot the -a flag to ls, or I've mistyped something or
> forgotten some perms.  Pilot error every time.  That's not to say it's
> impossible, and my first line of attack would be "Is this one of those
> versioning NASs and is it perhaps treating the directory as
> not-really-empty-because-you-might-want-to-roll-it-back-I-wonder?".

FWIW, you can also get this message if some program has an open handle to
either the directory itself or some file in that directory.  Usually
either a service or another shell...  Check the cwd of all shells, etc.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Belief can be manipulated.  Only knowledge is dangerous.  -- Frank Herbert