Re: login winXP home edition

On 10/2/07, pbs <pnews@someblokeintheukwantsananswer> wrote:
> I am trying to get xdmcp to work on a winXP home edition machine. But
> there are several issues that are cropping up. One of them can be
> simplified by looking at problems with "login" from the command line prompt.

Heres problem number One. WinXP Home = WinXP Pro - (service control +
MultiLogin over network + real NT kernel)

> I have a number of Cygwin users and I have messed around with the
> /etc/passwd file. The machine has a user called admin -- because the
> administrator user does not seem to be available under XP home edition
> other than in recovery mode etc.

are you using mkpasswd and mkuser?

Also, Administrator is availible under home for more that recovery
mode -- look at TweakUI's user hiding, theres an option to allow
Administrator to log in
> Admin has administrator rights on the machine and I have altered the uid
> to 0 in the /etc/passwd, so that it is root under Cygwin.

bad idea? only root should be root.

> If I run login on the command from a bash command line prompt it works
> for "login admin" and comes back with a "Last login:..." and "#",  but
> for any other user it returns with
>         Last login:..
>         Login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied
> and looking at the log file I see the reason for the failure is
>         CreateProcess failed, Win32 error 1314

It may be that you are setting access permissions for /bin/bash wrong
-- they should be rwxr-xr-x (744?) and belong to nobody.

> Which is "A required privilege is not held by the client.
> ERROR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD" (see
> http://help.netop.com/support/errorcodes/win32_error_codes.htm)
>
> I see from this posting "Re: "incorrect password" or "permission denied"
> when switching users"
> (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-02/msg00649.html) an explanation for
> this behaviour. Including reading the
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README (which is not on my machine but was
> available from http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/openssh.README.txt
>
> Also  "Re: cygwin_logon_user() not working"
> (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg00744.html)
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID
>

> I have tried putting admin and the other user into the same group in
> /etc/passwd (including SYSTEM group).
>
> I have tried making the second user (lets call it USER2) admin in the
> Windows XP Control panel->User Accounts, but that does not work either.

are you creating limited accounts or "administrator" accounts?

> I have tried to log on Administrator but can not do so other than in
> safe mode. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290109/EN-US/

Have you tried using the Non-Graphical (username: password: Domain:) login?

> I also saw this "logon as a service for XP home edition"
> (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg01298.html)
> Which suggests using ntrights which led me to "How to Set Logon User
> Rights with the Ntrights.exe Utility"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279664)

Never heard of it.

> This tool is available in rktooks "Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit
> Tools"
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en
>
> But before I alter the group permissions at the windows OS level with
> ntrights, I would like some advise on what I am doing because as an old
> UNIX and VMS hacker I understand the concepts in principle but I do not
> want to drive a coach and horses through Microsoft's attempts to protect
> the system for what is basically an application level problem.

right.

--
Morgan gangwere

Please Excuse TOFU. Gmail/Mobile has no Power.

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.