having problem fixing x installation and other minor things.

The usual things: cygcheck to see if any packages are listed as incomplete,

Thanks- as I indicated in PM your suggestion immediately pointed to the groff install.

re-running setup.exe, looking in /etc/postinstall for scripts that aren't

However, re-running setup isn't quite working because trying to uninstall one particular
item causes it to bomb. This xorg-x11-fnts isn't quite right as I can't uninstall it :
xorg-x11-fenc 6.8.99.901-1 OK
xorg-x11-fnts 6.8.1.0-3 OK
xorg-x11-fscl 6.8.99.901-1 OK

What is the safest way to manually ( not using setup ) uninstall this and do a clean
reinstall or figure out what is causing setup to terminate? I did an almost clean, except for above thing, uninstall and reinstall of X and it still doesn't run. Also, it appears if I download packages
first, and then try to reinstall from local directory that the packages disappear during
the uninstall even if needed for the subsequent install ( lots of missing file dialog boxes
and it didn't look like the reinstall actually happened).

Thanks.