Re: Can cron cause computer to wake up from hibernate?

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 08:51:19AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Danilo Turina wrote:
I then discovered that my network card was configured to wake up the PC when receiving certain kind of packets. Disabling that feature did the job.
AFAICT that's not hibernation - that's sleep mode. There's a difference,
I use hibernate mode all the time. I once used it at work when we were moving from one building to another. During that time the computer was not even connected to the power source and indeed in a moving truck! When at the new building I powered it on and it came back exactly to where I had left it off prior to hibernating it.
In fact, Wake On LAN technology is
designed to work on machines that are completely shut down - the only
caveat is that the motherboard reserves power for the network card,
and the network card scans for a particular magic packet addressed to
it.  If that packet shows up, the computer turns itself back on.
~Matt Wozniski
----

Oh it is definitely hibernate. I have never had the computer come out of shutdown though. I found partial answers here (http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008459.htm) and here (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit/msg/c40efb06dce495d6). My computer does show ACPI. I'll try turning off my cable modem and see if it works. Thanks for the suggestions.

saurabh