Re: ssh connection from a linux box is extremely slow

Kevin Kempter wrote:
Hi List;

I looked at the archives and google's this issue with no success. I've setup winXP with Cygwin and installed the ssh-server.

With the ssh service running I can connect from an external box via ssh but the connection takes at least 30seconds before I get a password prompt, and in some cases takes over a minute.

Thanks in advance for any help, thoughts, comments, etc...

This kind of delay is most often associated with failed reverse DNS lookups (attempts to resolve an IP address to a name). Wireshark (nee Ethereal) will show the DNS traffic if this is the case.

Typically the client wants to display the server's name where it can, instead of its IP address. The simplest way to address this is to put a server entry in the client's /etc/hosts (or Windows equivalent).

More generally, perhaps something like the following might work:

  # echo 'UseDNS no' >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
  # /etc/init.d/sshd restart

Hope this helps.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline