setup keeps ending with setup.exe generated errors and will be close By Windows

I was upgrading my install on w2k when noticed that setup was stuck.
So I canceled setup.  As the window closed, I saw that there was a
dialog box behind the main setup.exe dialog box asking something.

So now my install is hosed.  Rebooting and rerunning setup keeps
failing when we get to bash.  It doesn't help to deselect bash in the
list of programs that will be updated.

I can fire up a cygwin session but as you can see files are missing.

bash: id: command not found
bash: /usr/bin/tr: No such file or directory
bash: /bin/test: No such file or directory
bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
bash: uname: command not found
bash: id: command not found
$

$ cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out