Re: gcc does not know about "new" and "delete"

Hi,

Framk gave you the answer.

gcc is a plain c compiler.

Erich

Joel W. Gannett wrote:
I've checked but was unable to find any FAQs on this subject, as keywords such as "new" and "delete" apparently created too many hits.

Why doesn't my cygwin gcc know about the standard C++ functions "new" and "delete"? Here is an ultra-simple program (newtest.cpp) that won't compile for me under cygwin:

// program begin

#include <stdio.h>

int
main()
{
       int *i;
             i = new int;
       *i = 15;
       printf ( "hello, world: %d\n", *i );
       delete i;
       return 0;
}

// program end

This is what happens when I try to compile this program under cygwin on my Windows XP machine:

% gcc newtest.cpp
/tmp/ccReoXoA.o:newtest.cpp:(.text+0x32): undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'
/tmp/ccReoXoA.o:newtest.cpp:(.text+0x5e): undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Also, I get essentially the same compilation failure messages when I try to compile this under cygwin on my Windows 2000 machine.

When I compile this simple program using gcc on a Sun Unix workstation, it compiles fine, with no messages, and runs fine as well.

Any help on this problem would be appreciated. I have attached the cygcheck.out file for my Windows XP machine.