Re: Upgrade to git 1.5.3 broke git-commit

chris ortman <chrisortman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I just upgraded my cygwin git package to 1.5.3 and how when I try to commit
and
> allow git to launch vim to enter a commit message i have problems.
>
> The commit message normally has some content already in it, but it is now
blank
> and won't let me save because it says the file can not be opened for writing.

IWJFFM.  It sounds like you may have a stale file, or awkward permissions which
are getting in the way, when vi tries to open and/or overwrite
the .git/COMMIT_EDITMSG file.

Also, are you using 1.5.24 or a CVS snapshot?  There was a window of CVS
snapshots that failed to create files on certain filesystems, but that appears
to be fixed now.  Also, with the latest CVS snapshot, there are still problems
with pipe behavior that can interfere with gitk and git-gui.

One other thing: git 1.5.3.2 was announced today, and I'll probably be building
a new package soon.  So it would be nice to ensure that I don't need some sort
of cygwin-local patch to work around your issue, since I can't reproduce it.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin git maintainer