Space in Home Directory Path

Ok this is really a newbie question.

I moved from W2k to XP and reinstalled cygwin. On W2k, my Cygwin home
directory was placed in c:\cygwin\home\gang upon installation, where "gang"
is the user
name. Now on the XP, it is in c:\Document and Settings\gang. This
created a lot of problem whenever I have to use path names because of
the spaces in the path name.

So my question is: Is there a way to change the home directory on the XP
machine to c:\cygwin\home\gang? Or alternatively, get around the space
problem? I read the FAQ, and it only says to avoid names with space but
doesn't say why it installs the home dir to a path with space, or how to
correct it. I tried reinstalling Cygwin but it didn't offer any choice of
where the home should be placed.

I know I can simply create another home/gang under anywhere but cd won't
bring me there.