Re: Cygwin: Problem detecting subprocess termination after _spawn_posix in distutils?

Steve Holden wrote:
Steve Holden wrote:
[Python interpreter hanging during distutils install of Python imaging library 1.1.6]
Martin v. Löwis wrote:
The only environment variables that don't appear in the shell output from the env command are INFOPATH, MAKE_MODE and PLAT. I am still flummoxed.
At this point, I'd recommend to perform a cygwin update; with Cygwin,
these problems often go away with an update.

I updated Cygwin and did a rebaseall before posting.

If that doesn't help, you can ask on the Cygwin list also; to analyse
this further, ISTM one will need to debug the internals of cygwin.

I posted on Cygwin before asking here.

One thing you could try is to add -v to the list of gcc options;
you can then see whether gcc is progressing correctly.

I'll do that, though I have reason to believe the gcc *is* terminating and _spawn_posix isn't detecting the end of the process. At the very least we should get another test out of this dreadfully irritating bug.

Thanks again for looking at this.

A further data point (sorry, I've not had a lot of time to look at this). Building Python from the trunk at rev 57076 yielded a system that *would* cleanly build the same release of PIL. This is somewhat annoying because it appears to put the bug in the past where there's less incentive to investigate it. But I may find time to take a look.

Hardly worth it if I'm the only one noticing the issue, though.

regards
 Steve

Yet another piece of information. I recompiled the Python 2.5.1 interpreter and ran the library install using the just-built interpreter from the location it was built in. This ran perfectly fine (and happily resulted in a usable 2.5 library).

The strange thing is that when I installed the same interpreter, replacing the standard one in /usr/bin, it too failed in the same way.

Can anyone think of anything that might have affected the interpreter's ability to detect subprocess termination? This is bugging the heck out of me.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119