Re: Don't like "setup" for ocassional updates

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
Hi Paul,

The Cygwin list is the appropriate place for followups:

From: Paul McFerrin

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
From: Paul McFerrin

I thought is was that straight forward. Consider the .bz2
file under
bzip2:
bzip2-1.0.3-2.tar.bz2
I did a "bunzip2 -d file..." and ended up with a file
"bunzip2.exe"
which is corrupt. Can't do
tar -t file...
Perhaps it's time to upgrade your Cygwin installation. :-0
Well I did, without the knowledge that setup would do that. I'm now running version 1.5.24. I'll stay with that. The last person (Larry
Hall) mentioned using wget or curl but gave no URL's on where I might even find the files. Maybe I'm blind, but that seems to be a secret.

It's no secret to those of us using setup.exe ;-).

There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee - that says, "If you lived here, you'd be home by now."  Use
setup.exe and you can't get fooled again.

Agreed. And it's no secret for anyone. I didn't say where to get the file from because:

  1. The OP already had it, which implied to me that he knew where to
     get it, otherwise he wouldn't have a copy already (that old chicken
     and egg thing ;-) ).

  2. I also mentioned that he could just as easily use 'setup' in
     download only mode to retrieve the file.

  3. The mirrors for Cygwin are all plainly listed in a link right from
     the main page at the Cygwin site.

But as Chris mentioned, the key point is if people don't know where to get
the packages or how, they're unlikely to be successful installing them
manually.  Since Paul mentions that he's already upgraded (unintentionally),
I expect this is all moot to him now but I figure it's worthwhile to
reinforce this point once more for anyone who may have similar notions
about upgrading and just happens to stumble upon this or other like threads
in the archives.  Don't ask me how I did that figuring though. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746