SSH dropouts with heavy session traffic

Hello.

I upgraded my cygwin packages recently and have started getting
problems with ssh connections terminating unexpectedly with the
following message:

  Timeout, server not responding.

This only happens when sending/receiving a burst of data at once (i.e.
typing single characters etc works fine). I can consistently reproduce
this for example by doing the following:

  ssh user@otherhost.com
  ls -lR /

It will dump several screens worth of directory listings and then die
unexpectly with the above error message. I can also make it fail
sending data as well - for example, by cut-and-pasting a chunk of text
into the ssh session.

I believe this problem may have something to do with the way
interactive ssh sessions are managed, because it does NOT occur when
simply executing non-interactive commands. For example, the following
command consistently works fine!:

  ssh user@otherhost.com ls -lR /

I have tried reinstalling the packages and have tested this with both
OpenSSH 4.5 and 4.6 packages and they exhibit the same problem. I know
it is not a network adaptor issue because an equivalent SSH session
with Putty works fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? (I am running WinXP SP2)

BTW I don't know if it is related, but I also recently started getting
problems with ssh-add (before these dropouts started occuring):

  $ eval `ssh-agent`
  Agent pid 3208
  $ ssh-add
  Enter passphrase for /home/Scott McNab/.ssh/identity:
  Error reading response length from authentication socket.
  Error writing to authentication socket.
  Could not add identity: /home/Scott McNab/.ssh/identity

I can live without ssh-agent however the constant terminal dropouts
are a real showstopper.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!
Scott