Re: Suggestion for Setup.exe: Implement resume feature

Scott Shell wrote:
I am brand new to all things Cygwin so I am writing from the
prospective of the complete newbie.  I did read the FAQs and search
this newsgroup first though, like a good newbie.

Setup.exe lacks a resume feature as far as I can tell.  I was in the
process of "Install from Internet" for the first time, downloading
many MBs which took over 45 minutes.  I know now to select far fewer
packages.  But anyway, something urgent came up and I had to shut down
my computer, so I had to click the Cancel button.

Later, I ran Setup again and was dismayed when it did not remember
where it left off.  It began to download the same files from the
beginning.  Taking up about an hour of my time is of course negligible
but it is a waste of bandwidth for the mirrors.

On the "Choose A Download Site" screen on this second run of Setup I
selected a site at random

<snip>

That's your problem.  'setup.exe' keeps track of what you downloaded
previously by mirror.  Choose a different mirror than last time (and
more specifically, NOT including the mirror you specified last time -
you can have up to 4) will cause 'setup.exe' to download all selected
packages again.

Holliston, MA 01746