how to build cygwin using itself

Folks:

I started by following these instructions:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.programming.html#faq.programming.building- cygwin

Which say to check out "what you need" from CVS, linking to these instructions:

http://cygwin.com/cvs.html

Which say to check out "winsup".

However, it turns out that if you just follow those instructions and checkout "winsup" then you'll be a very perplexing error message about __assert_func being undefined. This is because, as Brian Dessent kindly explained to me, you also need to checkout newlib.

So I propose that the cvs.html page instruct people to checkout both "winsup" and "newlib".

Unfortunately now that I have "winsup" and "newlib", then I get another error:

-------
In file included from /c/playground/cygwin/src/newlib/libc/include/ dirent.h:6,
from ../../../../../src/newlib/libc/posix/execvp.c:9:
/c/playground/cygwin/src/newlib/libc/include/sys/dirent.h:10:2: #error "<dirent.h> not supported"
-------

Could someone give me a hint as to what other steps are necessary to build cygwin using itself?

Thanks!

Regards,

Zooko