Re: [Parallels 3.0, MacOS 10.4.9] Cygwin install probs and how do I subscribe

Lewis Hyatt wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Tim Prince wrote:
Generally speaking, putting cygwin stuff in your Windows environment should be avoided.
I do that all the time. In fact I wouldn't live without it. There's no problems with doing this.
Problems can arise, and when they do, they are particularly hard to debug.
Problems can arise each and every day that you wake up and walk out the door. What's cha gonna do? Tell you what I do - I live. You can stay inside.
It happened to me when trying to install gAim; it tried to load the cygwin versions of DLLs with the same names as it was looking for, and crashed on startup. I think it is safest to keep cygwin out of your Windows PATH.
One frigging application out of how many? Easily fixed with merely a script like:

#!/bin/bash
# Start gaim with a limited path
PATH=""
exec /apps/gaim/gaim $@

BFD.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. - Thomas J. Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943