Re: 1.5.24: data corruption problem with popen and gzip on a text mounted filesystem

Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:

> But I thought at one point I had patched dd to
> default to binary unless you used oflag=text; I'll have to investigate.

Shoot.  The dd logic when [io]flag= omits both 'binary' or 'text' in 6.9-3 is:

[io]f= unspecified - no change to existing mode of std{in,out}
if= specified - default stdin to binary
of= specified - use mount point for stdout

There was a logic bug in my cygwin-specific patch for of= when I ported it from
5.9x to 6.0 - in the process of accomodating upstream changes in the same
section of the file, I accidentally swapped the order of some my lines, and the
code that was supposed to default of= to binary became dead code.  Look for
coreutils 6.9-4 coming soon to a mirror near you, with dd once again defaulting
to full binary operation.

--
Eric Blake