Re: How to run bash shell script in cygwin?

On 7/19/07, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
myuser01 wrote:
> I have a script called "batchjob" that looks like this:
>     #!/bin/bash
>     echo 'I was here'
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 c10066 mkpasswd   48 Jul 19 09:30 batchjob
>
> But when I try to execute it from the cygwin shell I get this:
> $ batchjob
> bash: batchjob: command not found
>
> How do i execute a bash shell script from within cygwin?

This is not a Cygwin problem.  It's a usage issue.  You'd see
the same problem on other platforms.  Try:

./batchjob

... and the reason for this is because the current directory, called "." (dot), is not normally in the PATH environment variable. This variable is used to find programs that you are trying to run. Since "." is not in that list, it will not find the script.

Adding the "./" in front of the command name tells the shell to "look
in this directory (.) for the command"

You can read more about this by doing a google search like:
   http://www.google.com/search?q=path+environment+variable