problem with "sed" on cygwin...duplicable?

I was wondering if the following simple example worked for
other people.  It works on my linux box, but not on my cygwin
box.

Fails & prints usage:

echo 1|sed -r 's/1/2/'

The problem seems to be the extended regular expression switch.
The spelled out form was no better.

I'd guess it was not built right, but I would think it would
remove the "-r" from the usage if it was built without
extended regexp support.

Anyone else duplicate?  Should I send the problem to the
"sed-bug" list or is it a cygwin build problem?

Thanks,