RE: hacked package on server

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 03:44:51PM -0400, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> Yes, everyone now has been quite hilarious on this part of the
>> matter, but I think it's time to get past the arrogance and, god
>> forbid, consider that a user's reported problem, oh my god, might
>> actually be a problem!
>
> You did receive one response with a suggestion:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-07/msg00396.html
>
> I don't see how it's productive for you to assume humor-as-arrogance
> and respond to that but avoid responding to the suggestion.
>
>> Any time there's a report of a user having a problem with an
>> interface, *especially* one that's _supposedly_ so easy and obvious,
>> why not address it?  Or why not AT LEAST take a thought and say to
>> yourself, "if something is supposed to be so simple and obvious, and
>> yet someone is having a problem with it, maybe *I* am making an
>> assumption about the simplicity of it?"
>
> Ok.  I'll bite.  Has anyone done a google search to see if anyone else
> was confused by this message?  The message seems pretty clear to me
> and not something that I would misinterpret.  It doesn't seem like
> this is something that anyone should take a lot of time fixing if
> we've only gotten one complaint.  OTOH, if more people have been
> confused by the message then possibly it is something worth changing.
>
> cgf

Well in my opinion It could even be better to have an unchecked checkbox
like:

Wrong MD5 sum detected.
This package look broken. Try another mirror.
( ) Yes I Really want to install this even if it looks broken.

OK

Or something like that. Then its two clicks or several keystrokes before
one can continue.

--
tel 0920 49 1894
Bengt-Arne Fjellner