Directory Aliasing

Hello Everybody:

I don't have a lot of experience using Cygwin:

Problem:  I do a lot of work in a directory with a long path name: C:\very
long path name\My Work

Question:  Instead of having to type cd  C:\very long path name\My Work
everytime I want to switch to this directory, is there any way to do
aliasing?  For example, no matter where I am in the file system, typing cd ~
will take me to my home directory.  I've tried to create a symbolic link.
Of course the symbolic link is only valid in the directory where the
symbolic link exists, and not from anywhere in the file system.

tim