RE: Non-trusted domain user causes mkpasswd and mkgroup to fail

On 12 July 2007 17:03, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:

> For extra credit, I tried the same thing to try to add a user from a
> stand-alone server (not a member of any domain).  Unfortunately, running
>
> mkpasswd -d machine -u user
>
> again gave the error:
>
> mkpasswd (749): [1355] The specified domain either does not exist or
> could not be contacted.
>
> But I can live without that for now.

  A hell of a lot more than you'd be able to live with your domain controller
freely dishing out user information to any complete stranger on the entire
internet!  If you aren't logged into the domain, there's no way it should let
you know things like user and group lists.

    cheers,
      DaveK