Re: cygserver error

Please, don't http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

On Jul 10 10:40, Lester Ingber wrote:
> On Jul 10 09:39, Lester Ingber wrote:
>> > Whenever I start Cygwin on our Thinkpads/XP Pro SP2 with cygserver started
>> > at boot, I get a series of Errors in my Event Viewer -> Application.
>> > As far as I can tell everything is running OK, but I don't see how to
>> > get rid of these reported errors?
>> > [...]
>> > [...] cygserver: error getting handle(1700) to server (5).
>> > [...] cygserver: error duplicating from_master handle, error = 997.
>>
>> The first error message indicates an "access denied" error, which lets
>> me assume you're running cygrunsrv under a non-privileged account.
>>
>> Unfortunately, from your cygcheck output it's not visible under which
>> user account cygserver is running.  Are you starting it via cygrunsrv?
>> Under the SYSTEM (LocalSystem) account?  The output of `cygrunsrv -LV'
>> shows that.  If it's not running under the LocalSystem account, please
>> change that and try again.
>[...]
> I believe I have set up cygserver as directed; perhaps not:
>
> @lester:~% cygrunsrv -LV
> Service             : cygserver
> Display name        : CYGWIN cygserver
> Current State       : Running
> Controls Accepted   : Stop
> Command             : /usr/sbin/cygserver
> stdin path          : /dev/null
> stdout path         : /var/log/cygserver.log
> stderr path         : /var/log/cygserver.log
> Process Type        : Own Process
> Startup             : Automatic
> Account             : LocalSystem

You did, apparently.  However, I can not reproduce this problem.  I
created a setup which also starts cygserver automatically at boot time
and I added a `set CYGWIN=server' to my cygwin.bat file.  When I now
start my shell, I get exactly 0 event entries, as expected.

Is there anything special on your machine?  Does it already happen when
just starting a shell in a console window or what do you mean when you
say "I start Cygwin"?  I'm always slightly puzzled by this expression,
given that Cygwin is just a DLL which usually don't get "started".

Corinna

Red Hat