Re: Starting some notes on large paths... what's the right place?(Re: large paths in cygwin.)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 11:35:19PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 10 July 2007 23:25, Robert North wrote:
>
>> Ideally I'd like to place this kind of thing in a cygwin wiki,
>> but as Cygwin doesn't have one,  my preference is to place the notes in
>> this mailing list, where they will be searchable.
>> Is this a good idea?
>> Is there a better place to put them?
>> --such as the developer's list?
>
>  Perhaps the best place of all to put them would be to write them in the form
>of text file which we could add to cygwin cvs as how-paths.txt along the lines
>of the various other how-* docs files:
>
>http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/?cvsroot=src#how-autolo
>ad-works.txt
>
>However that would most likely require you to complete a copyright
>assignment form for redhat (and get a disclaimer from your employer if
>they might claim rights over your work).  Dumping it to the mailing
>list is indeed a reasonable way to get it archived and searchable.
>Developers list is probably more appropriate than this one - it's not
>likely to be terribly interesting to most of the audience here!

I don't want to speak for Corinna but I'm not really interested in
spending a lot of time discussing what needs to be done.  Corinna and I
have been talking about this for years and know what we need to do.  We
will get to it eventually.

The only help we really need is the help of not insinuating that we're
being stubborn, stupid, or cruel for having opinions about the UTF-8
patch and for not quickly implementing a replacement.

However, if the people in cygwin-developers want to have a gabfest about
this, I certainly wouldn't veto the discussion.  You can just color me
pessimistic that anything productive will result from the discussion.
I'm prepared to be amazed, however.

cgf