Cygwin tar1.16.1 - stdout/stdin behaviour on windows

Hi,

Iam using the Cygwin Tar version 1.16.1 on an Windows NT Server , I have
the following dll's copied to the same path as the tar.exe
From cygwin/1.5.24-2 :       cygiconv-2.dll         cygintl-8.dll
cygwin1.dll

Iam able to run the command : tar --forcelocal -cvf C:\\temp.tar
C:\\temp successfully.

However, the program I run , needs to do something more complicated like
:

1) tar -cvf - C:\\temp + Use Maverick J2SSH library to SFTP files from
stdout to stream the tar file to the  SFTP location

and to later restore the files:

2) Use Maverick J2SSH library to SFTP files to stdin the tar file from
the  SFTP location + tar -xv -

This works in Linux RH4.0 , when I use the standard /bin/tar . However,
just does not seem to work on Windows using the Cygwin Tar.exe

Command 1) works and am able to see the tar getting created on the SFTP
location.

However, am not able to tar -tvf on the file.Just gives blank response.
I cannot even open the .tar file created using winzip. Says Invalid Tar
file

Command 2) Just does not see to like stdin and refuses to extract the
file to the local directory

Please help.Is there any known issue with cygwin tar and stdout/stdin
behaviour on windows?

Thanks,
Kavitha