Re: How to link with third party libraries using gcc

Brian,

It sounds like the solution could range from something as simple as
including the ".lib" files on the gcc command line on up to complicated
stuff I've never heard of like "decorations", "toolchains", and "calling
conventions".

I tried the simple suggestion. I copied the ".lib" files to the directory
where my program is located. I then entered the following command:

gcc myprog.c library1.lib library2.lib  -o myprog

I got "undefined reference to ..." errors. One for each library function in
my program.

Next I removed the ".lib" files from the gcc command string as follows:

gcc myprog.c -o myprog

I got exactly the same errors as I did with the ".lib" files included.
Apparently gcc has no idea what the ".lib" files are.

Since I have no comprehesion of "decorations", "toolchains", and "calling
conventions", or how to find out what that means, I wonder if there's
another explanation. I've got a sinking feeling about this. As if I'm going
where no man has gone before.

Thanks for trying, Brian. I can tell you know what you're talking about.
Unfortunately I'm still completely in the dark.