RE: Reloaded Win XP, now need to reload cygwin - sorta

On 25 June 2007 19:02, Vidiot wrote:

> Larry responded:
>
>> Both 'cron' and 'ssh' have config scripts that handle installing and
>> starting the service for you, if you let them.  They are documented in
>> their README files in '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin'.  'cygrunsrv --help' gives
>> you an overview of the command and it's available options.
>
> That is all fine and dandy if you know where to look.  A new user isn't
> going to have a clue and I hadn't dealt with configuring cygwin in over a
> year, so I promptly forgot.
>
> So, new users are going to rely on the on-line documentation.  In this
> case there is nothing.  Would be be that difficult to document the
> configuration of programs like this on line?  The web page did say that the
> user doc is comprehensive and it isn't.  And, the FAQ is meant for queries
> like this and it too has nothing.
>
> I think it is a suggest well worth looking into.

  No, it's a really bad idea.

  Your suggestion amounts to "People might look in the wrong place for the
documentation, so put all the documentation in every single place they might
look".

  Of course, anyone who bothers to read the FAQ will see the entry entitled
"Where's the documentation", and know where to look for it, and anyone who
doesn't bother to read the FAQ isn't going to see the information about how to
set up servers even if we did pointlessly duplicate it there, so your idea
would help precisely zero people.

  Do you work for the Department of Redundancy Department, by any chance?

    cheers,
      DaveK