Re: cygrunsrv -S sshd fails not started

On 6/21/07, KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, gga wrote:

> KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, KAYVEN  RIESE wrote:
>>

>>> kayve@kayve-PC ~
>>> $ cygrunsrv -S sshd
>>> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error
>>> 1062:
>>> The service has not been started.
>>>

> Check /var/log/sshd.log.  There's probably more info why it failed there.
>
> You can also try starting the daemon manually for testing, as an
> administrator like (this will output more verbose info to the console):
>   > /usr/sbin/sshd -d -d -d -D

okay.  shoot.  i was able to connect but when i do the command
cygrunsrv -S sshd or the other one it still gives the same error.
how can i make this all happen automatically in the background so
i don't werry about it?  cron job or something? sheesh, but cygwin
is a little baby on top of windows or whatever.

> A common cause for that query problem is one of your config files having
> a wrong configuration, for example.
>
> P.S.  Installing openssh on cygwin has been nothing but a huge pain for
> me, as the docs are mostly worthless.
>
> --
> Gonzalo Garramuño
> ggarra@advancedsl.com.ar
>
> AMD4400 - ASUS48N-E
> GeForce7300GT
> Kubuntu Edgy

Hi everybody! Your first mistake was following directions from two sites that are not affiliated with Cygwin. I think the pigtail site even tells you not to ask for support on the Cygwin mailing lists if you use his instructions.

Cygwin has excellent documentation for installing sshd right here:
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README in the folder where all of the
Cygwin specific docs for packages are kept.

The most important parts are these:
"If you are installing OpenSSH the first time, you can generate global
config files and server keys by running

  /usr/bin/ssh-host-config"
and
"You can create the private and public keys for a user now by running

/usr/bin/ssh-user-config

under the users account."

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  This email is being sent in clear-text across the public
Internet.  Therefore, any attempts to include unenforceable legalese