folder creation

i have cygwin installed in my work laptop which runs windows xp professional.

i have this weird situation in which if i create a folder in my documents using windows tools then i cannot open the folder from cygwin(when i logged in using ssh). but i create a folder in the c:\, then i can open the folder.
i.e.,
any folder created by windows inside my documents has just d--------- bit set.
but the folder created by windows in the root folder c:\
has drwx------ permissions set.
i have to open a cygwin terminal and set the permissions manually if i want to open that folder from the ssh terminal.
i think it is a setting that i messed up somewhere. any help will be appreciated

thanks
jc