Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: brltty 3.8

Hi,

Mmm, maybe a short note in http://cygwin.com/setup.html would be useful?

> >That would make programming less easy.  Brltty can communicate with
> >other (potentially non-cygwin) applications with tcp/ip (remotely) or
> >local pipes (locally, more efficiently).  For keeping compatibility
> >with other applications for local pipes, windows pipes are used.
> >Mixing cygwin sockets and windows local pipes is not particularly fun,
> >so that's why we end up just using windows socket and
> >WaitForMultipleObjects() in a separate thread.
>
> You haven't really described why the linux-like pipe() command is
> inadequate for anything that an application needs.

This application needs to communicate about accessibility with
non-cygwin applications too.  Does the linux-like pipe() map 1-1 to
windows pipes?

> Merely stating that "mixing cygwin sockets and windows local pipes is
> not... fun" is not really an argument for not doing it.

This was an euphemism for "using select is already tricky, mixing both
a select() for cygwin sockets and WaitForMultipleObjects() for windows
named pipes, and handle the different kinds of sockets, that would be a
nightmare".

Really, for the sake of maintainability, this is a lot simpler.

> Unless there is good reason, the cygwin distribution really is
> supposed to be comprised of programs which use the linux API.

But when talking about communicating with other applications, we need to
use windows interfaces when the linux API doesn't permit it, shouldn't
we?

Samuel