Re: multiple cygwin1.dll message

Thanks for the reply, responses in the text below. For
some conciseness, I'll cut out parts of my original
message.

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
* John (Fri, 25 May 2007 13:07:23 -0400)
I just upgraded cygwin after leaving it dormant
for about 2 years. It was working properly before,
but now things are broken.

Two years without updates? Now that's severely broken...

Yeah, I haven't bothered much with UNIX on my desktop since my main machines were Solaris and linux until recently. I have a MacBook but need to migrate a ton of software off Windows, much of it which can't unless I get "parallels". This programming project arose because of the need to reformat a Windows flat data file. I may have to fall back to copying the data to MacOS X, running the script under UNIX, and copying the results back to Windows. Sigh.

I got the multiple cygwin1.dll message, actually
pointing to c:\windows\system32\cygwin1.dll . But
that file is not there! I did a Windows find, and
http://users.tkk.fi/~mlinjaah/cygwin_problem_make.html
suggests running in cygwin:

===
cygcheck -s -v -r > check.txt

and open the generated file check.txt in your favorite text editor.

Actually you shouldn't post the file as /attachment/ here...

Search keyword "warning" in the document. Especially, if you find line:

Warning: There are multiple cygwin1.dlls on your path
===

And it doesn't say where the other ones are?

Nope. Isn't that special! But cygwin's upgrade says where it thinks it is and it isn't. The check.txt file is attached.

Indeed, I found the warning in the output, but I am hesitant
to remove things from the path because it may break other
installed software.

It's your software. You installed it there. So you should know what's in there. Anyway: simply removing an element from the path doesn't "break" anything - you just have to type the full name. You don't have to have any Cygwin knowledge for that - basic Windows and Unix knowledge is enough for that.

I'm not convinced that it is harmless. e.g. I have a CAD program installed and it is in the path. It may need that to locate configuration or setup files. If I remove it all, and it doesn't work or breaks something, I have to worry about typos when I put it back in. Too many blanks, quotes, etc., to do it frivolously. Wouldn't be a problem on UNIX where I could save a config file and put it back...

In the cygcheck output above, I also see a number of Warnings about
g77, like:
Warning: C:\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe hides c:\g77\bin\gcc.exe
are they of any concern?

Is that a serious question? Why do you install two compilers?! You /must/ have already noticed that one of them is not what you used to get when you type gcc. If you don't need them uninstall them both.

I don't remember why I have g77 installed. As I recall, it might have been added as a cygwin package, but can't recall for sure. And not having cygwin experience, it doesn't just jump out at me.

And it is a serious question. Full blown UNIX machines which I and my
staff have run, are capable of having installed multiple packages,
even multiple versions, with no ill effect. Windows still suffers
from being designed as a single user operating system, unlike UNIX
which was designed as a true multiuser and multitasking operating
system. Things trip over each other all the time. Sigh.

Currently, I need the Bourne shell. But I want gcc and g77 later.

I am successfully using a Bourne shell script from Windows, but it
is very wounded. After running the script a few time, I get can't
forks, and Zone Alarm shuts down and starts up. Then I have to
reboot to get a couple of more successful script runs. Quit annoying
to someone used to scripting on Solaris.

I guess tomorrow I have a look to see if g77 can be removed, and
have a shot at killing the PATH (ugh!). Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks, John