Re: Adding to a windows zip file without zip.exe

On 5/16/07, Chadwick <> wrote:

Cygwin is currently installed on over a hundred windows 2003 servers, and is
used to do some admin tasks as well as to pull files from the servers on a
daily basis via ssh.  One of the files pulled from each server is a windows
ZIP file.

I want to add an extra file to this ZIP file using a script.  I looked at
both DOS batch scripts and cygwin shell scripts but have run into problems
because the cygwin installed on these boxes doesnt contain ZIP.exe, and the
PKZIP.exe I would used with a batch script is so old it only accepts 8.3
filenames.

Updating the servers with new cygwin or command line packages is not an
option at this point.

That being said, I am a huge cygwin fan and am not willing to give up on a
shell script as my solution quite yet.

The cygwin version on the servers does have gzip, gunzip, bzip2, bunzip2,
and unzip.

Unfortunatly I have as yet been unsucceful in using these tools to add a
file to my windows zip archive.

Any suggestions?

--

One of the Windows Resource Kits has a tool called compress.exe designed to handle Windows Compressed Folders (Zip Files) from the command line.

Maybe you'll be lucky and your servers will have this command present.

-Jason